Regional metrology organizations (RMOs) are regional associations of national metrology institutes. They have a wide range of activities, as described on their websites. Here we describe their role within the framework of the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement (CIPM MRA)
The RMOs play an important role within the CIPM MRA. In particular, they:
- make proposals to the Consultative Committees on the choice of key comparisons;
- carry out the RMO key comparisons, described in the Technical Supplement to the Arrangement, corresponding to the CIPM key comparisons;
- participate in the JCRB (see paragraphs 9.3 and 9.4 of the CIPM MRA);
- carry out supplementary comparisons and other actions designed to support mutual confidence in the validity of calibration and measurement certificates issued by participating institutes (see paragraph 7.3 of the CIPM MRA).
Currently six RMOs are recognized within the framework of the CIPM MRA:
- Gulf Association for Metrology (GULFMET);
- Intra-Africa Metrology System (AFRIMETS);
- Asia Pacific Metrology Programme (APMP);
- Euro-Asian Cooperation of National Metrological Institutions (COOMET);
- European Association of Metrology Institutes (EURAMET);
- Inter-American Metrology System (SIM).