TCs for Standards
General Committee for Standards
The Committee has in its membership directors of national standards departments in the NSB’s, chaired by the GCC chair state standards department director and GSO holds the secretariat.
Functions of General Committee for Standards:
- Supervise the activities of technical committees of standards.
- Endorsement of the Gulf draft standards and submit them for approval by the Technical Council.
- Endorsement of the Gulf draft technical regulations submit them for approval by Technical Council and the Board of Directors.
- Approve the annual plans of technical committees, as well as sub-committees and task groups emanating from it and submit them to the Technical Council for approval.
- Follow up the implementation of annual plans by the technical committees, as well as sub-committees and task groups emanating from it, through the reports, and providing solutions to the obstacles that might hinder the implementation.
- Recommend approval of the formation of a new technical committees or subcommittees or working groups and raising the recommendation for approval by the Technical Council.
- Follow up all matters concerning the activities of Gulf Standards issued by the technical committees as well as sub-committees and task groups emanating from it, including (to change scope of work of the committees, modify action plans, etc …)
- Perform all tasks assigned to it, and the powers delegated from the Technical Council.
- Guide the work according to GSO Technical Guides.
Introduce periodic reports to the Technical Council about the activities of standards and obstacles at technical committees / sub committees level.
GSO had formed a number of technical committees for the preparation of standards and technical regulations covering various sectors and include representatives nominated by NSB’s of the member States. The number of technical committees of different sectors are (15) technical committees so far covering head industrial and economic vitality sectors in the GCC States. A set of sub-committees have been formed to respond to the requirements for the issuance of successive standards in specialized areas. For more information about technical committees / sub committees can be accessed at the following link: Technical Committees
The GSO through those technical committees / sub committees, set up standards and technical regulations based on reference to several standard taking into account the national requirements of Member States, through several ways, including the adoption of a single standard reference without modification or adoption to amend commensurate with the national requirements , or update the standards and technical regulations previously adopted to amend some of its clauses or insert additional requirements commensurate with the national requirements of Member States or replacement of the standard by the updated new standard to be more appropriate and being prepared from several references or adoption of a single reference.
Out of concern the participation and comment of public and private sector in the member states in the work of GSO technical committees and their contribution in the preparation of standards and technical regulations, has urged the NSB’s of Member States to set up technical committees and a national debate for each GSO technical committee to include representatives of government agencies and industrial sectors, commercial and service sector and senior users, universities and other academic bodies, as well as chambers of commerce and industry.