ISO 22000 – Foundations and principles of food safety management system
The set of international specifications ISO 22000 , issued by the International Organization for Standardization ISO, in 2005 is the result of a series of developments and the accumulation of experience owing to the application of the recommendations of the Codex Almntarius Codex Commission issued in 1993 and known as the Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point .ie “risk analysis and points of critical control “in short, HACCP, which have been used over the years prior to the issuance of this specifications by ISO organization, and is concerned with this group of technical specifications, Committee ISO / TC 34 in the International Organization working Group 17 of it.
The international standard ISO 22000 consisting of the following basic elements / requirements :
The scope focuses control procedures to be implemented to confirm the presence of operations which can meet the requirements of the client and legislative requirements for food safety, and apply this standard to the organizations that are involved directly or indirectly in one or more of the steps in the food chain, and that regardless of the size or complexity Organization.
this element shows the referents that can be used to determine the terms and definitions associated with the terminology used in this standard specification.
Terms and Definitions
This element indicates as one of the necessities of consistency in the use of terms and definitions to those definitions and vocabulary contained in the standard specification ISO 9000 (about 82 definition) This is in addition to a number of other definitions concerning the vocabulary used in particular in the food applications.
Food Safety Management System
This element demonstrates the requirements of establishing of an integrated system for food safety and focuses on the required documents and records needed to confirm an effective building and implementation and updating of the food safety management system.
This element specifies a set of requirements, including the responsibility of senior management – and the formation of a team to the safety of food and a representative of the management responsible for the system in addition to the development of policies and objectives with clear plans and responsibilities in emergency situations, then put the mechanisms of effective communication within and outside the organization, especially with customers and finally this element identifies the need for senior management to periodically follow up the system to check its status and to determine the corrective and preventive actions to be taken and the possible methods of continuous improvement.
This element covers the demand of management responsibility in the organization for providing the necessary and adequate, comprehensive resources, budgets and infrastructure and qualified individuals for the system with the need to train workers to meet the training needs of their own and the need to register all training works and its development, results and effectiveness.
Planning and implementation of safe products
This element merges all the requirements of Good Manufacturing Practice GMP and HACCP requirements in addition to the legislative requirements applicable to the organization and its operations. The element includes a particular program for the basic requirements (such as: training – sterilization – maintenance – consecutive – review suppliers – adjust non-matching products – call procedures.. etc) which constitutes the general requirements for a sound foundation for the production of food.
Recognition, verification and optimization of the Food Safety Management System
This element covers a group of requirements, including that the Organization must approve that all assumptions used in their programs and planning for the system are scientifically valid ‘In addition, the organization must plan to carry out periodically check acts on all components of the system to make sure that the system is working as designed or that there are amendments must be entered, with the need to make checking as a part of the continuous improvement processes when the Organization is reviewing the verification.
The basic specification and other supporting specifications
ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems — Requirements for any organization in the food chain.
1ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 Prerequisite programmes on food safety — Part 1: Food manufacturing.
2ISO/TS 22003:2007 Food safety management systems — Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems.
3ISO/TS 22004:2005 Food safety management systems — Guidance on the application of ISO 22000:2005
4ISO 22005:2007 Traceability in the feed and food chain — General principles and basic requirements for system design and implementation.
Phases of application and evaluation food safety management systems
In general, the organization wishing to apply the system to manage the food safety by following these steps:
- This single standard applies to the organization or overlap and integration with whatever or all of the specifications of ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 as suitable for the process of obtaining a certificate or self-declaration of the Organization for compliance with it.
- The senior management of the organization to appoint a representative of the management and teamwork for the system of food safety management and developing an implementation plan.
- Undertakes a study on a food safety laws in the state that apply to the organization and its products , activities and its operations.
- Develop the basic general requirements Prerequisite Program PRP (such as: training – sterilization – maintenance – consecutive – review suppliers – adjust non-matching products – call procedures.. etc), and do what it takes to achieve it and set it in the facility.
- To undertake a risk analysis and identification of critical points and the way to tune it into the organization in the course of food production by the Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- The senior management of the organization to participate with the team to developed an executive plan for the steps and actions to be taken to cover the specified program in step 4 and processes that have been identified in 5. With providing the necessary resources for doing this.
- The organization shall in parallel adopt and implement an awareness training program for all employees in the facility of the requirements of food safety management system for the preparation of the target facility for the desired change.
- Implementation of the executive plan developed in Step 2 should be by officials and experts and the senior management of the organization to provide the necessary resources for implementation.
- After the implementation of the new system and the supposed conformity to food safety management system and for a reasonable period of time confirms the stability of the new system, the senior management of the organization assign specialists with appropriate expertise, both from within or outside the organization to perform a comprehensive audit about the implementation of the new system in the organization, and usually do this audit systematically and in accordance with a established plan in advance.
- Audit results are usually “non-matches” to the requirements of food safety management system targeted, and is assisted by senior management of the organization to take appropriate corrective action to close the “no-matches”
- The Organization to execute processes contained in item 9 & 10 on a regular basis to maintain a satisfactory level of performance of the organization and in accordance with the requirements of food safety management system.
- The senior management should rebound and periodically planned reviews of the organization, and the execution of the laid down system, solving the problems of implementation to the extend that senior management assured that the organization match the management system and requirements contained in the standard ISO 2200.
- The organization selected and contracted with an Issuer of recognized certificates that are in coordination with the organization`s management representative for arranging the timing of the audit,
- The issuer of the certificate audit the organization and in the case of the audit was positive the organization is awarded ISO 22000 certificate subject to periodic audits by the donor to ensure the continuity of the organization`s compliance with the requirements of international standard.
ISO 22000 Implementation
- Senior management demonstrate a commitment to food safety.
- Senior management issue a food safety policy.
- Senior management establish food safety objectives.
- Senior management define the scope and boundaries of the FSMS.
- Senior management plan the establishment of the FSMS.
- Senior management provide adequate support to establish the FSMS.
- Senior management ensure there is adequate infrastructure and work environment.
- Senior management appoint a food safety team leader.
- Senior management appoint the food safety team.
- FSMS responsibilities and authorities are documented and communicated.
- Food safety communication systems are put in place.
- Senior management provide the resources required to establish, document, implement, maintain and update the FSMS.
The benefits of getting ISO 22000 certificates
- Customer satisfaction and consumer safety.
- Improve the relationship with the community and fulfill one of the elements of social responsibility.
- Satisfy investor.
- Improve the image of the facility and the participation rate in the market.
- Meet the requirements of authorization the system.
- A better control of the cost.
- Reduce the risk of accidents arising from the lack of food safety.
- Show interest in.
- Providing inputs of raw materials and energy.
- Facilitate obtaining permits.
- Improve the relationship with the government.