The GSO Council shall be composed of the competent Ministers responsible for standardization of each Member State. If the competent Minister of any Member State cannot participate, his representative shall be of the same rank as the minister.
Meetings of the GSO Council shall be attended by the Secretary-General of the Organization and the Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Affairs at the GCC General- Secretariat without having the right to vote. Chairmanship of the GSO Council shall rotate annually according to the State that preside the GCC.
Meetings of the GSO Council
1. The GSO Council shall convene twice a year and may hold extraordinary meetings at the request of one third of the Member States. Meetings of the GSO Council shall be deemed valid if attended by two thirds of the Member States.
2. The GSO Council may invite representatives from the public and private organizations interested in the standardization affairs at the Member States to attend its meetings without having the right to vote.
3. Resolutions concerning the approval of the Gulf Technical Rules, amendment of the bylaws and opening branch offices of the Organization shall be taken by unanimous approval of the Member States. Resolutions of the Board of Directors concerning substantive matters are to be taken by unanimous approval of the representatives of the Member States present at the meetings. In procedural matters, resolutions and recommendations of the Board of Directors shall be taken by majority vote of the participants. In case of a tie, the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
Functions of the GSO Council
The GSO Council is the highest authority in the Organization. It controls and manages the affairs of the Organization and adopts the general policy of the Organization and, for this purpose it may exercise, in particular, the following functions:
1. Approve the Organization's strategies in the light of the specified objectives and functions.
2. Approve the long-term and the annual plans reflecting the Organization's activities and programs.
3. Approve the Technical Rules, the Gulf Standards, the Gulf Conformity Assessment Procedures and proposed amendments thereto.
4. Approve the regulations, rules and directives relating to the standardization activities.
5. Approve the financial, accounting and administrative procedures of the Organization's General-Secretariat.
6. Approve the organizational structure (chart) of the General-Secretariat and the amendment thereof.
7. Follow up the Organization's activities and achievements and issue the appropriate resolutions and directives.
8. Appoint and terminate the Secretary General.
9. Adopt the annual budget of the Organization and approve the utilization of its allocated funds.
10. Approve the financial statements of the Organization.
11. Appoint the independent external auditor and determine his compensation.
12. Delegate some of its powers to the Technical Council and the Secretary-General.